- News & Events
- Contact Us
2005 Recipients of Amgen Award for Science Teaching Excellence Announced; 19 Outstanding Science Teachers and Their Schools Recognized in Communities Across U.S. and Puerto Rico
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 19, 2005--Amgen Inc. (NASDAQ:AMGN), the world's largest biotechnology company, today announced the 19 science teachers who are this year's recipients of the 14th annual Amgen Award for Science Teaching Excellence. This award is designed to recognize and honor extraordinary science teachers in K-12 public and private schools in communities where Amgen operates. Those selected are teachers whose exemplary science teaching has had demonstrated results in student learning. The awards will be presented at dinner events in May and June. The 2005 winners are:
- Dan Alcorn of Big Valley High School in Bieber, CA
- Ronald Fenenga of Santa Ynez Union High School in Santa Ynez, CA
- Luke Laurie of El Camino Junior High in Santa Maria, CA
- Jacqueline B. Rojas of Patrick Henry Elementary School in Anaheim, CA
- Cindy Suchanek of Mira Loma High School in Sacramento, CA
- Bob Dorsett of Meeker High School in Meeker, CO
- Mary Ann Varanka Martin of Estes Park High School in Estes Park, CO
- Gregory French of Woodford County High School in Versailles, KY
- Peggy Welch of West Jessamine High School in Nicholasville, KY
- Michael Gyra of Barnstable High School in Hyannis, MA
- Abby Shlomit Hoffman of Neighborhood House Charter School in Dorchester, MA
- Tracy L. Bailey-Gates of North Smithfield Jr-Sr High School in North Smithfield, RI
- Gennaro Ferraro of Burrillville High School in Harrisville, RI
- Randall James of North Central High School in Spokane, WA
- Mary Bennett Moore of Jason Lee Elementary School in Richland, WA
- Aurea V. Rosario Bonilla of Esc. S.U. Ana Dalila Burgos Ortiz of Orocovis, PR
- Rosa M. Batista Cancel of Esc. Manuel Fernandez Juncos of Mayaguez, PR
- Zulma N. Torres Gonzalez of Esc. Catalina Morales of Moca, PR
- Elliot Lopez Machado of Esc. de la Comunidad Juan Ponce de Leon of Florida, PR
Amgen established the teacher awards program to demonstrate the company's commitment to advancing science education. Since the program's inception in 1992, Amgen has awarded more than one million dollars to educators who have made exceptional science-teaching contributions and who have had a measurable impact on the lives of their students.
"Amgen is proud to honor these 19 distinguished teachers, who remind us that skilled educators play a critical role in inspiring the next generation of citizens and future scientists. We hope this recognition and grant support for the teachers and their schools will continue to advance innovative approaches to science education," said Jean Lim, Associate Director of Philanthropy at Amgen.
The 15 selected winners within the United States will receive the following benefits:
- An unrestricted cash award of $5,000;
- A restricted $5,000 cash grant to the recipient's school for the expansion or enhancement of a school science program, science resources, or the professional development of the school's science teachers;
- Recognition at an awards banquet; and,
- Ability to share best practices with other award winners and colleagues via a web-based forum.
In Puerto Rico, four teachers will be honored, each receiving an unrestricted cash award of $2,500 and a restricted $2,500 cash grant.
Nominations are solicited every fall and a panel of independent judges selects the winners based on the following criteria: creativity of teaching method; effectiveness in the classroom; motivational ability; instructional ability; and the plan for the use of grant money to improve science education resources in their schools.
For more information about this program, please visit http://www.amgen.com/citizenship/aaste.html.
Amgen is a global biotechnology company that discovers, develops, manufactures and markets important human therapeutics based on advances in cellular and molecular biology.
CONTACT: Amgen, Thousand Oaks
Mary Klem, 805-447-4587 (media)
Arvind Sood, 805-447-1060 (investors)
SOURCE: Amgen Inc.